Legislative Update – May 15, 2020

Senate Minority Leader, Chuck Morse, said they will be holding two session days in June. He said they will be using the House Chambers which has seating for 400 members and electronic voting capabilities which could expedite the Senate’s work.

House Minority Leader, Dick Hinch, has said that the House will convene outside the Statehouse in a venue that will allow for proper social distancing for the 400 state representatives. The House has not yet revealed the exact location but it is likely to be in a geographic area where the most representatives are located. The likely date for the House session will be June 11. In the meantime, several House Committees have conducted more remote executive sessions this week. 

The Governor’s Economic Re-Opening Task Force continues its work by approving draft Phase 1 guidelines for seven more business sectors including lodging, outdoor attractions and gyms. Only lodging included a target date of May 22. All of the guidelines include operation limitations. The draft guidelines will go to the Division of Public Health for their review and then the Governor.

This week some businesses were allowed to a limited re-opening including retail stores, hair salons, campgrounds and golf courses. Next week outdoor dining will have a limited re-opening.

Gov. Sununu created the Governor’s Office for Emergency Relief and Recovery (GOFERR) to make recommendations for spending federal funding of $1.25 billion under the CARES Act. He also appointed an eight member bipartisan Legislative Advisory Board to make recommendations. This week the Legislative Advisory Board made recommendations for $345 million in spending. This included $100 million for business relief, $160 million for health care, $25 million for child care providers, $30 million for NH charities, $5 million for the NH Food Bank, $10 million for the University System of NH, $5 million for the Community College System of NH, $5 million for private colleges, and $5 million for farmers.  The Governor has previously earmarked $255 million in spending. 

While this was happening, the separation of powers dispute is back in court. Four Democratic legislative leaders and members of the Joint Legislative Fiscal Committee had filed for an injunction in April that would stop the Governor from spending any more of the federal funds without legislative approval. A judge ruled that they did not have legal standing to pursue the claim. On May 1 the Democrats filed a motion for reconsideration and expanded the list of plaintiffs in the complaint. They are arguing that they do have legal standing as both taxpayers and members of the Fiscal Committee.

We will continue to keep you updated, but if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.